So this was a fun little experiment with my husband. Since he's been back from japan, he hasn't has much time to cook, with being in the barracks and all. So we decided to cook together at least one night a week. Last night we tried out hand at balsamic chicken, completely from scratch (no recipe being followed)
2 chicken breasts (or 4 chicken cutlets)
1 cup wine
1.5 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 button mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup balsamic salad dressing
3 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp flour
2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 lemon, juice and zested
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Run the chicken through breadcrumbs to get it nicely coated
2. in a 10 inch skillet, add 1tbsp olive oil and cook the chicken til its no longer pink in the middle (about 4 minutes each side, but depends on thickness)
3. remove chicken and dry on paper towl
4. Add the white wine to the pan, then the chicken broth, balsamic dressing, seasonings, lemon juice, lemon zest. Let it come to a boil.
5. OPTIONAL: Depending on how thick you want your sauce you can add the right amount of flour. For a less thick sauce add about 1 tsp flour, 2 tsp for a more thick. Let the flour dissolve, constantly stirring so there aren't any clumps.
6. Turn the heat to low and add the mushrooms + chicken. Cover the skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are done.
|Right before the lid went on.|
|Dinner time =)|